2005/08/01

Data as Currency

Some of you may have noticed the little Oink's Pink Palace banner right under my I Power Blogger one. Oink's is a BitTorrent tracker like TorrentSpy or ThePirateBay. Its also by invitation only like Gmail, but users have to have good cred to earn invitations; they don't just throw them at you like Gmail (seriously, I've got 50. Want one?). In what form does 'cred' manifest itself in the Oinks universe? Your ratio. Your upload/download ratio is your life and death in Oink's.

This is also where things get interesting. In order to keep my ratio high enough to not get booted, I've been downloading things from Limewire, mainly eBooks, to compile them into single archives or folders and upload into Oink's. Its like I'm trading this data for other data. Unless you're downloading brand new stuff that a lot of other people are downloading, you probably won't be able to upload much of that particular torrent which means your ratio will drop a bit. I bring in data from other sources to have extra ratio points to download other things.

Then, there are investments. I downloaded a ringtone maker. I don't want a ringtone maker, I've got no use for it. But, I was the first person to see it and download it. I was wagering that this would be a hot item and I'd be able to upload tons of it. My ratio on that particular torrent is 13.945. That's earned me a lot of older downloads. After it stops being so profitable, I'll stop uploading it and delete my copy of the software. Like I said, I don't want the software itself.

Not as interesting, but just as useful are the things I like and know will be hot downloads. Since I know they'll be hot downloads, I grab them quick so I can maximize my upload of that particular torrent instead of just bookmarking them for later when my ratio's high enough. Two good examples of this are the new Flaming Lips and Evanescence albums.

But, yeah, back to the whole point: I'm using data that I get from elsewhere or don't even want as currency to get the good stuff. If anyone wants an Oink's invite let me know and I'll throw one at you once I reach SuperUser status and have a few to pass around.

P.S.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alustriel said...

Sounds hard to keep up with...

8/01/2005 6:24 PM  
Blogger repeter said...

Not much harder than keeping track of a stock portfolio. I guess that's the closest comparison. Its just a little faster moving.

8/01/2005 11:38 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

New Evanescence!!?!??

8/02/2005 12:07 AM  
Blogger Mr. Greene (and His Orchestra) said...

That's nigh unto intriguing. Too bad I'd have no use for it/ability to use it.

8/03/2005 2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home