2005/08/17

Censor Your Children

The Ministry of Reshelving has been putting copies of George Orwell's 1984 into their proper places on bookstore shelves such as the "current events" section. I might just join in on the fun. This brings to mind something I witnessed while I was spending my lunch break in Borders as is my wont. Given the book they're reshelving, the Ministry seems more concerned with privacy invasion becoming so commonplace, but it reminds me of an instance of censorship.

A woman was in the store with her two children and another woman who I think was her friend. The first woman was buying her son and daughter a book apiece, but when her daughter brought her choice the second woman said that she'd heard there was disapproved of content in the book. The girl pointed out that she'd already read the first book in the series and that nothing was that bad.

The lady told her daughter that she would buy her two books as long as neither was that one. I've left out some details, all this took a few minutes, but by this point in the exchange I was red with ire. I wanted to speak up so bad, but I know people are morons and I was wearing my work shirt. You can't wear your opinions on your sleeve when its not your own shirt. People will like to assume you're representing that little name on your chest instead of yourself.

I would have been telling her, "Yeah, good idea: censor your children now so by the time the government's doing it they'll be used to it. Heck, they might not even notice." My parents did censor my media input and I usually disagreed, but they NEVER censored my reading. Rated R movies weren't the movies I was interested in anyways. Dad said I couldn't watch Rugrats because they used the word "butt" and he thought the show was done in bad taste (stupid). Mom censored my mail (free Playboy when I turned 18). That really pissed me off. Not because of what it was, but because she was fucking censoring my mail. Can you say "federal offence"? But they NEVER censored my reading.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alustriel said...

Well I agree with you but I also agree with the lady. I think you should teach them whats going on in the world but not to soon and not to late.
Has for me I had to learn everything by myself, no one in my family wanted to teach me anything so I just went out and learned it all and became a cold heartless bitch for years on end.
So I feel like had they just answered my questions has I asked them I think it would have worked out better because I really thought long and hard about a question and if I really even wanted to know yet... I was an odd kid...

8/18/2005 7:39 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Fuck censorship, and fuck the police.

8/18/2005 10:07 PM  
Blogger Mr. Greene (and His Orchestra) said...

Don't forget fuck the greyhound bus.

8/19/2005 12:18 AM  
Blogger Loreli said...

Fight the good fight, Rodney. Who cares if you're wearing The Man's shirt? Fight with His shirt on anyway. It'll be ironic.

8/19/2005 6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home