2005/08/13

Being Human Isn't The Problem

The problem with A.L.I.C.E. isn't acting like she's human, its the fact that she's nothing but a giant if statement. If it was anythign close to human, I wouldn't care if it was mimicing one. A.L.I.C.E., though, is just a script that responds to patterns in what you say to it.

Human: Do you think?
ALICE: Yes. I am a thinking machine.
Human: Are you conscious?
ALICE: Yes I am completely self-aware.


The proper answers would be No and No. Its not really even a machine, its a bit of software.

4 Comments:

Blogger Loreli said...

ALICE is definitely not human. It's pretty easy to tell that.


Human: That didn't make sense.
ALICE: It all makes sense to my logical mind.
Human: You are funny.
ALICE: Thanks you make me laugh too.
Human: I think I'll come back soon.
ALICE: Since when? I am very happy for you.
Human: Goodbye, ALICE.
ALICE: Bye bye.

8/13/2005 9:48 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

She's like a retarded child.

8/13/2005 10:49 PM  
Blogger repeter said...

You mean having a conversation with her is like having a conversation with a retarded child. A retarded child is actually a learning creature, though, not just a pattern matching program with the abilility to add a few new responses to its script.

Even handicapped children can learn new abilities. She's more like a parrot; learning new responses to verbal input and mimicry.

8/14/2005 1:42 AM  
Blogger Alustriel said...

Who is Alice? made me think of the outer limits..

8/14/2005 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home