2005/07/03

I Want To Be The Father of Something When I Grow Up

Marvin Minsky (a.k.a. 'Old Man Minsky') is the father of A.I. I think I had a big long post planned, but its getting late so I think I forgot it. I'd just like to say that I'd like to be called the father of something someday. Something other than "that punkass kid", or whatever.

Minsky has written some pretty interesting things. The book of his I want to read the most is Society of Mind. In order to make a machine version of the human mind, we have to have a much better understanding of how it really works. In his Society of Mind theory, Minsky describes the human mind as not one mind, but a 'society' of smaller minds which he calls agents. There are varying levels of agents, with our conscious mind being the biggest and most complex. The agents decrease in size and complexity with each level until some are just simple unintelligent processors.

This theory kind of helps explain things like having two conflicting views and what we call "mixed emotions." I'll have to get my hands on that book before too long. Maybe I'll use some of my birthday money in three months. If you're interested in reading anything of his, there are some links on his homepage.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Greene (and His Orchestra) said...

sounds like a pretty cool guy

7/03/2005 2:09 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

So that's who you were talking about, I totally forgot to look him up, but dude, he sounds interesting.

7/03/2005 2:43 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

He sounds more like a psychologist than a computer scientist.

7/03/2005 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home