2005/05/15

Groovy B&N Guy

When I ran to Barnes & Noble last night for the new 2600, I saw the Star Wars trilogy in one volume, and a copy of the first Star Wars book ever published: Splinter of the Mind's Eye. What a better segue into the immense paper dimension of the Star Wars Universe?

When the dude behind the counter rang me up, he started telling me how he remembered reading Splinter when he was a kid. Apparently that was originally going to be the sequel to A New Hope. Back then, he said, sequels were always cheaper and had less story, but the first movie was such a phenomenon they did things differently. Before the Force became such an important part of the storyline the search for this Kaiburr crystal (a sort of Jedi Holy Grail) was going to be the main focus. According to the back of the book, this Kaiburr crystal gives whoever possesses it immense control over the Force making them nearly invincible.

The contents of the trilogy book are Star Wars by George Lucas, The Empire Strikes Back by Donald F. Glut, and Return of the Jedi by James Kahn. The guy told me (and I've confirmed it) that George Lucas used a ghostwriter named Alan Dean Foster, who is also the author of Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

So, yeah, I felt enriched talking to that dude. I normally like to ask for the email addresses of people I have such fun, random conversations with, but the last two just led to a halfassedly answered and an unanswered email. As long as I continue to be a Barnes & Noble customer, I'm sure I'll run into him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home