2004/09/18

Technosexual

I can tell this is not going to be a very productive day. Part of its the heat. We don't have an a/c in our house. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. It looks like next week's supposed to be cool and a little rainy, though. Perfect. Maybe with the right combination of tea, European chocolate, and Data Structures, and maybe a bit of anime, today can still be quite enjoyable.

A few days ago, my girlfriend called me a technosexual. I was curious about what it meant, so that's what kicked off my research yesterday. My girlfriend defines it as someone who looks good with all their gadgets. AlterNet says a technosexual is "a dandyish narcissist in love with not only himself, but also his urban lifestyle and gadgets; a straight man who is in touch with his feminine side but has fondness for electronics such as cell phones, PDAs, computers, software, and the web." Yeah, that's crap. From what I've read my girlfriend's is more accurate. Basically a semi-stylish geek. But, yeah, I think I burnt myself out on the topic and don't really feel like saying much about it, so I'm just going to dump all the links I found.
http://www.technosexual.org/
Oh, I guess that's actually it. Yeah, not much to say on the topic. I ended up going off on a tangent and looking up geek girls. Not a whole lot interesting there either. The parts on dating a geek girl are informative. Suff like understanding that her work is important, oh and the fun quote from How To Love a Geek Girl, "although you can take a geek girl away from her computer, you can't always expect her to stop thinking about computers." Here're those links:
How To Love a Geek Girl
Geek Marriage
GirlGeeks.org
Guide to Geek Girls

Now to the good stuff. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. First off, I saw it in the only theater in Colorado to show the movie, The Mayan. It was described to me an an arthouse theater, so they get all the anime and fun foreign movies and stuff. It was a great theater and I love being up in that part of Denver.

That is a movie I'm going to have to see more than once. It was deep, and even more full of quotes than the first one. They once again quoted the Bible, but the versew weren't as relevant to the story. This time it was Psalm 139. I don't know the exact verse, but the whole psalm is good. A lot of the quotes made me wish I knew who Descarte was. Oh, and I feel like I should be creeped out by dolls now. You'd really have to see the movie to understand, but it was a constant theme in the movie. The movie's not as cyberpunk as the first, but its still quite awesome. Like the first, the animators used a combination of traditional anime and CG effects. In some parts, the CG was so good it looked like animation with live action, Roger Rabbit-style.

Overall it was very thought provoking, and very visually stimulating and beautiful. I recomend it to all, even non anime fans.

Yeah, I'm running out of steam again. I need that chocolate, but I'm going to wait until the tea's ready as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home